These lovely things are sunberries. They're relatively new to me. I don't think I'd ever heard of them before my friend Cassie started growing some in her garden last year. And, since lots of sunberry seeds went into her compost pile, she ended up with tons of sunberry seedlings this spring - which she then shared with me! I believe I planted about six sunberry plants in my garden this year. Sunberries are lovely with big green leafy plants and tiny white flowers. The berries themselves look sort of like blueberries, but they taste more like sweet tiny tomatoes.
To be honest, they're not my favorite things to eat - though strangely enough my children who usually avoid tomatoes (and blueberries, for the most part) loved the sunberries. Know what I love about sunberries?
That's right, I just love to squish them. They're full of all these tiny seeds, and smooshing them between my fingers is strangely satisfying.
And with all the seeds I've squished and then dropped into the garden, I'll probably have lots of sunberry seedlings in the Spring, next year myself!


This entry was posted on 11:04 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Im about to eat one of these and I used your blog to verify what they were. It was the seed pic that allowed me to identify my plant. Grew wild in Vegas. Couldnt figure out if it was a nightshade or sunberry.

  1. ... on June 27, 2013 at 3:31 PM  
  2. Teresa9 said...

    I keep looking for information because some people think they're poisonous... I'm glad I found your blog. I'll give them a try :)

  3. ... on August 10, 2013 at 7:18 AM  
  4. Unknown said...

    Next time, you would want to squish the seeds on paper towels to clean them because the seeds have an anti-germination coating on them which would normally be cleaned off in a bird's stomach but if you are doing it manually, you should always clean off the seeds.

  5. ... on November 3, 2017 at 2:07 PM