My friend Leslie has an apple tree in her yard that produces loads of fruit. Leslie isn't quite sure what to do with all of it, so she asked me if I'd like to take some off her hands. Look at this gorgeous basket of fresh apples! They're so pretty, and they smell divine. But now I have to decide what to do with them! I'm thinking some applesauce and apple butter. But in Ball's Complete Home Preserving I found a recipe for apple preserves that uses thin slices of lemon. I'm sure that probably looks really pretty in a jar - with thin slivers of lemon peel running through the apples. So I want to give that a try. I need to get to work soon, though! They might look pretty sitting on the counter in a basket, but they're not going to keep forever!


This entry was posted on 8:33 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

    Those are really nice looking apples. The preserves sound like they'd be delicious! I used to help my Mom with canning when I was younger and every so often I think about trying it now with my daughter.

  1. ... on June 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM  
  2. Heather said...

    I love preserving things! There is just something about the whole process that I find wonderful - knowing we'll have local foods tucked away for winter, knowing that generations of women have done this to feed their families, and making use of produce that might otherwise go to waste. I also love the term "putting things by". Have fun.

  3. ... on June 27, 2010 at 8:31 AM