There's this book called
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day that I have added and deleted from my Wish List several times over the course of the last year. I have mixed feelings about making my own bread. I have this really inspirational friend (hi, Cassie!) who makes all of her own bread for her family. I think that's awesome. And her bread is delicious. I've made bread a few times in my life, and it's even been edible! So, it's not a matter of IF I CAN make bread. It's a matter of whether or not I want to bother. Especially by following this book, which has you making bread almost every day. See, I don't really like bread. Well, that's not true. I like bread just fine. But at home? I don't really eat it unless I'm having a sandwich, which really isn't that often. We might go through a loaf of bread over the course of two to three weeks. (Which often means it gets moldy before we finish it). But it's rare that we eat more than that. Maybe we'd eat more bread if we had hot, homemade yumminess available. But do we really NEED to eat more bread? If we eat so little of it, would making my own be worth the trouble?

My mom has this cousin from Canada who comes down for a visit every year or so. When he comes, he always baked a ton of bread. And not just bread! He makes cinnamon rolls and muffins and all kinds of delicious things. It all gets eaten eventually. We usually freeze some of the bread/rolls for later. It's tasty, and it doesn't have all the scary artificial stuff that's in store bought bread. Shouldn't I want to provide that for my family? Homemade bread looks and smells so divine. It's the embodiment of home: warm, cozy, and comforting. I like the idea of that. But making bread just so your house smells good sounds silly. And eating a lot of bread just because making it sounds like a good idea doesn't make sense either.

I think that, for me and my family, homemade bread is going to be something that I'll do occasionally. But not every week. At least, not for now. Maybe as things change for us, I'll be inclined to bake more often.


This entry was posted on 11:29 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: