We've lived in our house for almost a year now. I can't believe how the time has flown by. When we moved in, I had these big plans for the yard. I still have those big plans, but now they are tempered by a more realistic idea of how long it takes to get yard work done. Sometimes I wonder if we'll ever get it all accomplished. Will I ever have the garden of my dreams?

I guess our improvement projects are going to get a little bit of momentum soon, because my father-in-law is driving down from Idaho later this summer. He and his wife plan to "help" in our yard during their 2 to 3 week visit. They asked for photos of our yard, and what we wanted done. Of course, I have a laundry list of things I want done - not one discreet project. So I discussed that with them. Now I feel like their plans to "help" are spinning a little out of control. Like they really plan to take the reins on things. They've even talked to my sister-in-law, Wendy, about what we should do with our yard. And what she'd do if it were her yard. Wendy has a really beautiful yard, and I know that she took a lot of time to meticulously plan things. But I also know that what she wants in a yard/garden and what I want are very different. She and I have some different priorities. So I don't really think that she needs to be the consultant on this. Not that I'm really in a position to complain, right? Someone is willing - and actually WANTS - to come help me with manual labor. I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, right? And yet, I feel a little defensive and wary when my father-in-law emails me about the yard. I'm not sure I'm going to like how this all pans out.

Things I Want Accomplished in our Yard:
  • Rebuild the unstable sections of fencing on the west side
  • Replace the fallen gate on the west side
  • Remove weird trellis/mister thing from the west side
  • Rebuild retaining wall on east side with bricks/blocks
  • Remove existing plans (everything except the orange and lemon trees)
  • Build raised bed for planting (with a brick/block border)
  • Level the yard
  • Replace dead/dying grass with sod, or reseed
  • New sprinklers for the front yard

Things I Want to Plant Once the Yard is in Shape:

  • Grapes (both green and red seedless)
  • An apple tree
  • Blackberries
  • Cucumbers
  • Lettuce
  • Tomatoes
  • Garlic
  • Onions
  • Carrots
  • Zucccini
  • Herbs (esp. Basil, Rosemary, Parsley & Cilantro)
  • Watermelon
  • Lavender
  • Assorted flowers (esp. sunflowers & cosmos)



This entry was posted on 10:33 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: